Do you have any outdated wiring problems in your home? You need to understand that this problem will lead to other serious issues in the future if it isn’t addressed now. This issue may leave you without enough power to run all of your appliances, lights, and any other devices in your home at the same time, especially when your wiring system is outdated.

In some cases, outdated wiring may result in a fire hazard when this problem is not treated immediately. Here are some useful tips on how you are going to identify any outdated wires and some dangers that can result from these wires.

Old Electrical Wiring

How to Identify Outdated Wiring

a. Look for dimmed ceiling light in your home

This is the easiest way that you can check for old wiring. Dimmed ceiling lights may not only be a sign of burned-out light bulb, but something much more dangerous. It can also indicate that there is not enough electricity flowing through your wiring system. Therefore, the electric current cannot illuminate the light strongly. If this is a current issue in your home we recommend you call an expert right away.

b. Smoking from lights, appliances, outlets, etc

If you notice this sign you need to turn off as many electrical appliances immediately. When your lights, appliances, or outlets start smoking, you have to take action as soon as possible. Smoking will indicate that something is burning, where there’s smoke there’s soon to be fire.

c. Noisy electrical appliances

All electric devices in your home should be able to run normally without making a lot of excess noise. Some noises, such as crackling, buzzing, or sizzling, may signal some electrical issues, such as faulty electric panel, overloaded circuit breaker, or outdated wiring. Any noise that is abnormal and noticeable to you if worth a phone call.

d. Burning smell

This is another sign of having an outdated wiring system in your home and relates to number 2 on this list. Outdated wiring may start to melt when it cannot hold the high electric current. You will notice a burning smell that may occur around your electrical devices or near your 2 or 3 prong wall outlets. It tends to have a similar aroma to an older burning candle. The odor will indicate that your wires are starting to melt due to any reason.

Some Dangers of Outdated Wiring

a. Easy to overload the wiring system

An outdated and old wiring system is very easy to breakdown because it cannot hold the current passing through the wires. It will be very difficult for you to run several appliances or electrical devices at the same time without having to overload the system. When this problem is left untreated for a long time, it will increase the risk of a fire hazard.

b. Deteriorated protection

When the wires are outdated, they are going to lose their protection and strength. As the result, the wires will be exposed to the environment. This in turn will increase the risk of having a fire in your home. It is recommended for you to call an electrician to replace any old wires with new ones. These new wires are commonly coated with PVC. This material has a small risk of deteriorating, so you can use your new wiring safely.

c. Cannot pass the inspection

Even you are not having any issues with the wiring, you may have some difficulties when you are planning to sell your home in the future. Your outdated wiring system will never pass the inspection until you replace your wiring system. The latest safety standards are higher than the standards from previous years. Having new wires for your home can ensure that you can sell your home in the future easily and quickly.

Many other dangers may come in the future. When you suspect outdated wires in your home, you can call the best electrical professionals who have a lot of experience in this industry. Our company, Santella Electric Inc, can be the best choice for you. We are a team of reliable electricians who have passed all certification programs and exams. Our technicians know how to deal with any outdated wires that may present in your home. Call today!